Thursday, May 7, 2009

During the Nats








So, after the training day we all headed to our accomodations for the week. Most of the pilots were to stay at a place called the St Nicholas Ranch, which was a Greek Orthodox retreat. Many in the paragliding group are far from religious, but I thought it was great to have many of the pilots in the same accomodations. This not only built camaraderie, but enhanced friendships. Dinner and breakfast was to be served, and we had shared rooms with 2 to 4 pilots sharing a room. It made for tight accomodations. Unfortunately, they did not clean the rooms for the whole week, so room conditions were a little ripe by the 5th day. Never-the-less, it was still fun to have most of the pilots together for dinner, breakfast, and parties. Of course there was a daily keg!

So, the first day of the comp dawned beautiful. Scattered cumies were popping everywhere, and pilots were pretty excited to play. Since the organizer of the comp was going to fly and compete, we were going to have a new meet director, who ran the local club in the valley. Though her intentions were good, there seemed to be quite a bit of confusion in regards to comp organization, requirements, direction, logistics, and landings. This valley had plenty of options to land, but the locals were not very open to pilots using their property to land if needed. So, we had a lot of you can land here, but not in this field or that field. So, my consensus was not to land. We could land at the forest service property which was a nice field, but what made it interesting to land there was it was a perfect trigger for a thermal. Coming in there was a difficult set up as you were always getting lift. During the comp, I climbed out from the forest service thermal twice.

If you do make it to Dunlap, there is a pilot named Dan who had a beautiful landing zone and property for both hang gliders and paragliders. His friend Greg was super nice, and with permission you can land there, and set up camp for a reasonable fee. It's perfect!

After the logistics were sorted out, we had a task of around 68 km. Out into the flats, and then back to launch. The flying went well, but I sunk out at the second turn point after the start. I made 19 or so km. The hard part was right after leaving the Dunlap valley, several of us groveled for a longtime looking for lift over some powerlines in the next valley which is called Squaw Valley. It was quite interesting landing in private property. Almost immediately, the wife of the farmer rode out in her four wheeler with one of her dogs. When she arrived she was quick to ask what I was doing, and that I was trespassing. I apologized immediately, and said I would have landed elsewhere, but I really had no choice. When I told her that I, along with the other pilots she saw in the air, flew from Dunlap, she became friendlier. Meanwhile, her dog was barking and showing teeth. I began to pack up as quick as possible. She then left. After about 15 minutes, she came back and offered a ride, and apoligized for not asking if I was OK. She then gave me a ride to their house, and as I walked off the property the dog circled me, barking and showing teeth. The second I left the property, the dog stopped and watched me walk away. Good doggy. I was happy for my first cross country flight after a winter hiatus.

On the second day, not so good, weatherwise. We dawned to a lower stratus layer with launch in the clouds. Finally, we decided to head up to launch, and wait up there. I guess this place works even if it's cloudy. The ceiling lifted, and pilots were in the air. We were all cloud flying for about half an hour until the start. Once we got the start all pilots headed west out of the valley, and once to Squaw Valley, perfect partly cloudy skies were everywhere. It was so cool flying just below the clouds and around the clouds to stay out of them. The task was about 50 km give or take a km. This time we all seemed to do better once out of Dunlap. and I finally felt I was flying comfortably again. It was nice to make goal being 17th for the day. We landed in a town called Woodlake. Several pilots landed in a school, and all the kids came out and asked questions, and were excited. Even the teachers were happy to see us. An awesome flying day.

On the third day, a ridge run and then out of the Valley into the flats for an 80 km task. Conditions looked like they were going to be nice, with cumulus over launch, and when the launch window opened, but soon quickly stabilized. I unfortunately made a big mistake, and was in the start cylinder to soon. I had to fly out of the cylinder, and retag the start, and loss precious time. Conditions had stabilized so that it was hard to get back up in good position to hit the other turn points. I finally got the other turn points near launch, and then made it straight across the valley to to save time. There was quite the head wind toward Squaw Valley, I did not think I was going to get out of Dunlap. Many pilots were landing at the forest service. I found the thermal over the FS field, and climbed out. I saw one lone pilot to the south over a turn point called Ruthies. I hooked up with him and we worked the light lift. He left a light thermal thinking there was something better out front, but I stayed and worked what I had. The thermal organized and I climbed out nicely to 5500 msl. This enabled me to clip the Squaw Valley Cylinder, and head toward goal. But, I found myself alone. I could see pilots on some of the other ridges, but we didn't seem we were going to hook up. Conditions were totally blue at this point. I followed a line I had the previous day, and was able to make Woodlake. Then it was total flat land flying over many of the beautiful orange orchards. I was about 21 km short of goal with no organized lift. I decided to head towards goal hoping I would find the one thermal, but didn't. I landed about 19km short. An awesome flight almost completely alone. I was happy to have made the distance considering the stable conditions. Some interesting turn of events for myself the next couple of days. Stay tuned!
















No comments: