Friday, June 28, 2013

Today turned out to be a beautiful flying day, albeit, with a little more wind. Even though there were blue skies, there were still a few cumulus popping up at different locations along the course line. Thermal tops were also a bit higher then yesterday. I climbed to 7487 feet msl on my highest thermal of the day. So the xc should have been easier.

Unfortunately, I got a late start today and ended up with the last gaggle after the start. Once on course I got a fair climb over Rabies Ridge and then began to look for the convergence line which seems to set up along the spine to the first turn point. It's great at these events because there are lots of pilots working together and flying the course so you can actually see what is working, thermal and convergence wise around you. Once on the spine I got a great line and was able to glide for while between thermals. Halfway to the first turnpoint I got a great climb to my high point and was able to glide most of the way to the turnpoint. What was good for me was pushing more speed and was able to catch the second gaggle.

Arriving higher then pilots at the cylinder, I saw pilots working down low in weak lift. I circled a couple of times, but felt I could follow a ridge back on course and find a thermal along the ridge. Big mistake. Once over a saddle and along the south face. I got drilled into a south facing bowl with strong winds. I had company of about 5 other pilots and we circled in broken lift, frisbeeing with a marginal net climb in and out of the thermals. With the strong wind, the lift didn't seem to get organized and I dirted soon after.

I always learn tons at these events. Tactics, patience, and flying with a group can be key to being successful. What I should have done is waited and circled with the large group near the turnpoint even though I was higher then everyone. I could have climbed out with them and stayed on course. Many pilots that were there made goal. It's great to learn.

Enjoy the pics. Cheers






No comments: