Monday, June 23, 2014

Day One of Rat Race

Sunday was the first day of the Comp and it turned out, weatherwise, to be a pretty decent day. The wind was much more mellow which made for smoother thermals, though the lift seemed more sporadic and difficult to find, with weaker climbs. Top of lift was much lower then the previous day.

The start time was at 1:30 and I launched about 45 minutes before. Climbs were great off launch though thermal top was not really high. Pilots were about 2000 agl above launch which really isn't super high. From above launch I decided to fly to Burnt, which is were the start cylinder is and it was difficult to stay high. Right before the start the local thermal over Burnt decided to dissipate and the gaggle left with minimum altitude to start on course. I hung back at Burnt, got a little higher and then flew on course behind the main gaggle.

Once on course toward the second turn point, Rabies as usual delivered and I found my highest climb to 8000 msl and easily made the first turn point. From there we headed east back toward launch to the second turn point called Squire. Found a nice climb on the way and easily made the second turn point. I headed to Wood Rat mountain to find a climb above launch and again climbed to about 5000 msl which was weak and back on course toward the 3rd turn point. Over Burnt mountain again the lift was weak to non-existent and thought I might end up landing. There were several of us having a hard time and we hung out in zero lift for at least 20-30 minutes. Finally found a decent climb to 6000 msl and headed toward the 3rd turnpoint. On glide I found a weak convergence line and was able to maintain some height on the way to Jacksonville. I found a couple of dribblers and made the turnpoint with fair height. Finally tagging Jacksonville a nice thermal brought me back up to 6000 msl and I was on my way to goal. A weak convergence line over the road east enabled me to push some speed. Tanked up just before goal to get over the last ridge and arrived about two hours forty five minutes into the task.

Really enjoyed the flight. After training day the turbulence seemed much more manageable. I hope Monday sets up to be as nice a day or better. Keep you posted.

Cheers

No comments: