Friday, July 9, 2010

Chelan Training Day for Nats











Well today was for my first flight in Chelan, Washington 2010. Also my big first flight on the Aircross U4.




Conditions were very typical Chelan, with light winds on launch, dust devils pinging off the top, and super hot temperatures. But, as always, a great flight, longer then anticipated and almost a full triangle.




Once launched it took a long time to climb out above butte, and had a low crossing over the Columbia river into the flats. Once there we had an awesome gaggle that enabled everyone to climb out again. Winds were from the southwest, so my friend Jan, Casey, and myself headed to a small town called Withrow. I was slower then the boys, as I was trying to dial in this new ship, not pushing much speed. However, I was happy with the stability of the glider and surprised with this high aspect ratio wing. Not one collapse today. Once at Withrow we decided to go east toward Mansfield which was an easy glide since we had a nice tailwind. Awesome climbs to 12,000 msl with thermals pumping at 1400 fpm. What was amazing were the size of some of the dust devils in the flats. I saw a couple that were 30 yards in diameter or bigger. Cloudbase was 12,500 msl and reached it 3 times today.




From Mansfield the goal was to make it back to the butte, with a 15mph head wind it wasn't in the cards. So landed about 10 miles from Chelan Butte for a total distance of 30 miles. 4 hours in the air. Great training day.




Stay tuned for more blogs, and pics. I am hoping to blog daily.




Cheers, Greg

No comments: