Tuesday, July 29, 2008

1st Task

Chelan was true to form the first day with very light winds, and small dust devils skirting the launch area by 10 a.m. It turned out to be a blue day, and a cap to about 7,000 feet, but some pilots managed to get to 8,000 feet msl over the flats. It was my 4th day on the Tracer, and the 1st day in the thermals that were stronger then 400 feet per minute. The glider flew well, and felt perfect.

The task was about 58.1 km race to Leahy with one turn point, and a third of the field made goal.
Jeff Wishnie won the day.

Launch window opened about 11:45 a.m. and the task start at 12:50 p.m. I finally got off launch about 20 minutes before the task started and had a good climb out over the butte. The top of the butte is about 3,900 feet msl, and I climbed to about 7,000 msl. Still a little low to make the flats comfortably. The main gaggle left right at the start time, but I lingered over the butte to long, and lost 500 feet in the process. After finally crossing the Columbia river to the flats, I was low and not many other pilots there to mark thermals. I found a weak climb over Mcneil canyon that finally got me onto the flats, but there I was thermaling alone on a blue day. We also had a cross wind to make it to Sims the first turn point which made it difficult if you're low, as the thermaling drifted you way off the course line. I scratched for a while and then dirted about 9 miles from the butte.

Even though I landed early, I was happy to have a flight on the new glider in stronger air. Also, it takes me a while to adapt to flying in the big gaggles again, and programing the GPS's for scoring
The group of pilots are experienced so all of our pilots meetings have been short and to the point. Chelan is showing to be the perfect venue for comps again.

Right now day 2 we are on hold due to a front moving through. We are meeting again at 12:30 p.m. to decide if we can get a task today.

No comments: