Sunday, July 27, 2008

In Chelan

Finally made it to Chelan, Washington. It was a 20 hour drive with a stop overnight in Boise, Idaho. It was a pleasure to come into the campground called Beebe, which is on the Columbia river, to friends and a site for my tent. We had six tents crammed in the area for the site. Unfortunately, I could only set up half of my tent as the spot they saved me was for a two man sized tent. My tent is a 4 man. Anyway, it worked for last night, and a another tent site opened up and I was able to secure that, which enabled me to complete the full set up.

This morning we woke up to a nice day, but to wind. It did not look promising to fly. A couple of pilots launched, but were not getting anywhere due to the strong wind. Of course the goal is to launch from the butte, get at least 3,000 to 5,000 feet over launch and then cross the river into the flats. If I remember correctly the best hieght is around 8,000 msl. The higher you are the easier it is to get to the flats with enough altitude to find a descent thermal to go on.

We ended up hanging by the lake, and swimming. The water was a pleasant 75 degrees. We have now downloaded the waypoints into our GPS and will soon have the pilots meeting, to go over the comp details. Stay tuned for more info.

No comments: