Thursday, July 24, 2008

A beautiful morning flying in Wolcott. Tandems have been going great with a little soaring. But, what's really new is the Sol Tracer that I will be flying at the Chelan XC Open. I have only had three flights with this glider, but all three have been soaring flights in light thermals. The real test will be in the big air in Chelan, WA. I still have some kinks to sort out on the glider.

The handling is amazing, turns on a dime, or flat which ever you need for the thermal size, shape and strength. The brake handles are soft which is new for me. I have been used to a brake with a rigid handle. Since I like to fly with a rap of the brake line around my hand, the soft handles squeeze my hand so much that I lose circulation in the fingers. So I will change the brakes to a rigid handle.

The speed system on this glider is the most user friendly I have had. The pulley system is set up to increase pressure the more you push on the speed bar. It's very easy to go to half speed, and then the pressure increases progressively until full speed. The speed system on the other gliders I have flown with have always been very difficult to push from the beginning. They really found the right combo to make this system functional for long transitions when going XC.

I will be on the road Friday with a stop in Idaho, and then on to Chelan, arriving Saturday in the afternoon. The weather has been sunny with highs in the Upper 80's and 90's. I hope the conditions stay favorable for a good comp. Keep you all posted.

Cheers, Greg

No comments: